Home » Blog » motor vehicle accident » Can I receive compensation after I’ve been injured in a car accident?

Can I receive compensation after I’ve been injured in a car accident?

Many people are unaware there is a legal framework in Western Australia which helps people recover compensation for the injuries and losses suffered.

At Stephen Browne Personal Injury Lawyers, we have established ourselves as one of Australia’s most successful personal injury law firms, successfully negotiating car accident settlements for our clients who have experienced the misfortune of being injured in a car accident.

Keep reading to find out how we can help you with a car accident settlement.

How can I claim compensation for ‘general damages’?

General damages is the term used to describe the non-financial losses suffered after you’ve been injured in a car accident.

General damages include:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Physical and mental harm
  • Reduction in life expectancy

In WA, a minimum threshold applies to the payment of general damages. Only those people with injuries assessed as being above the threshold will be entitled to compensation for general damages if they are injured in a car accident.

Speaking with a legal professional will help you determine whether your injuries will be above the threshold so that you can map out the right course of action for a successful car accident settlement.

Past and future loss of earnings

If your injury has prevented you from returning to work, you may be eligible for compensation for the earnings that you have already lost, as well as the loss of future earnings.

The amount of compensation you are entitled to will depend on the severity of your injuries and the effect on your capacity to continue to work and earn an income.

Past and future loss of superannuation

Compensation for loss of earnings can also include past and future loss of superannuation contributions. A good personal injury lawyer will know exactly what evidence is required to strengthen your case.

Future treatment expenses

Future treatment expenses include all medical and other treatment types that you may require as a result of the car accident.

This can include:

  • Specialised equipment
  • Prescription medication
  • Gym memberships required for rehabilitation
  • Specialist consultations
  • Hospital fees
  • Surgery costs
  • Physiotherapy, OT or chiropractic services

Domestic support services

If your injuries are severe enough to require domestic support and care during your recovery, you may also be eligible for compensation for:

  • Professional care costs; and
  • Care and assistance provided by a family member or friend, even if they provided the care for free.

Car accident claims in Perth

Being injured in a car accident can change your life in just a few seconds.

Facing a long recovery with physical and/or psychological injuries, combined with expensive medical bills can severely impact your quality of life. That’s why getting the right legal advice from the start is so important, to ensure you get the most out of your claim.

Compassionate, caring and experts in their field, the lawyers at Stephen Brown Personal Injury lawyers will work hard to ensure you understand your legal rights and get the outcome you deserve. Contact us today for an obligation-free consultation with one of our legal experts to discuss your claim.

2023-04-28T09:26:53+00:00 November 24th, 2022|Blog, motor vehicle accident|0 Comments